When To Have A Home Inspection Done
Home inspectors are highly trained and licensed individuals who have experience with inspecting and assessing the different parts of a home. If you are interested in home ownership or are already a homeowner, you might need to work with a home inspection service at various times throughout your life. If you aren't really sure of the different times when you will need to hire a home inspector, consider these examples of times when you should have a home inspection done.
You're Buying a House
If you're buying a house, it's a good idea to have a home inspection done for a few reasons, including the following:
- A home inspection can help you decide whether or not you actually want to buy a house. Some people don't mind buying a fixer-upper that needs a little bit of work, but if you don't want to deal with any work and just want your home to be move-in ready, a home inspection can help you make a decision.
- A home inspection can help you prepare for what you will need to do next if you do choose to purchase a fixer-upper.
- You can use what is found during the home inspection during the negotiation price when you're buying a home.
- You will probably need to turn in proof that you have had a home inspection done when you apply for a mortgage. The sooner that you have this done, the sooner you can get approved for your loan and can close on your house.
You're Selling a House
If you're selling a house, it's often a good time to have a home inspection done for these reasons:
- Determine what repairs you should have done before putting your home up for sale.
- Determine how you should price your house.
- Give potential buyers peace of mind when they are looking at your home.
- Prevent delays when your buyer is going through the mortgage approval process.
Your House Has Been Seriously Damaged
If your home has recently been seriously damaged — such as if a major storm has blown through your area or if your home has been flooded — then you might know that major repairs are needed. If you need a starting point and want to make sure that every issue is addressed, you should have a home inspection done first. Then, you will know about the full extent of the damage, and you will have a list of things that you need to do.